The importance of sunscreen can’t be stressed enough. No beauty care routine is complete without sun-shielding. As per research, sun damage accounts for 80% of skin aging signs. Are you interested in knowing what to consider while purchasing sunscreen? We are going to share everything that you should bear in mind while opting for SPF and also how, when, and how much to apply for optimum results.
Sunscreen is a must even on cloudy days regardless of whether you are outdoors or indoors. Sunscreens protect against hyperpigmentation, aging, drying, acne, skin darkening, and skin cancer and help maintain an even skin texture.
UVA, UVB, and blue light:
Typically sun exposure damages our skin because of harmful ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB). Both of these rays penetrate our skin and cause several skin issues. Blue light is also present in sunlight and digital screen such as computers, mobiles, tablets, etc. also emit blue light. Because of its high energy, it can penetrate to greater depths into our skin and is primarily responsible for wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and other signs of premature aging. The job of sunscreen is to protect from both types of UV rays as well as from blue light.
What is SPF?
It is a way of comparing different sunscreens with regard to sunburn protection provided. The higher the better. Suppose skin burning starts after 30 minutes without sun protection at a particular place. Wearing SPF 30 sunscreen your skin would normally start burning after 30*10=300 minutes at that place. However, SPF is not meant to calculate the duration of time we can stay in the sun it is basically a relative measure that describes how much sunburn protection is offered by a product. Opt for a sunscreen having SPF of at least 30 or above for reasonable protection.
SPF only tells about the protection provided against UVB rays. SPF does not ensure protection against UVA and blue light, this is where a broad-spectrum sunblock comes into play as it offers protection against both UV rays and blue light as well. Do remember to reapply sunscreen after excessive sweating, swimming, or washing.
Mineral and chemical sunscreens:
Mineral sunscreens form a protective layer on the skin and shield the skin from damaging rays. Chemical sunscreens let the sun rays penetrate the skin and then chemicals interact with rays to convert damaging rays into heat energy which is then emitted through the skin in the form of heat.
Benefits of mineral sunscreens:
- Much Safer as compared to chemical ones
- No waiting time before going out in the sun after application
- Suitable for those suffering from melasma, sensitive skin
- Can be applied over makeup products and beauty products
Negatives of mineral sunscreens:
- Being thicker may contribute to acne ( therefore people having combination or acne-prone skin should opt for combination sunscreens having both mineral and chemical elements)
- Usually, leave a white visible film on the surface
- Have to be reapplied earlier as compared to their chemical counterparts
Benefits of chemical sunscreens:
- Easier to apply as don’t tend to leave a white film.
- Offer relatively more extended protection as compared to mineral ones.
Negatives of chemical sunscreens:
- May trigger skin reactions, melasma, and allergic reactions in some people, especially those with sensitive skin.
- May contribute to unsafe levels of certain chemicals in the bloodstream.
Which one to choose:
By and large mineral sunscreens are considered better. Even wearing chemical sunscreen is much better than nothing. Opt for broad-spectrum sunscreen having a suitable SPF rating for proper protection.
EVELINE whitening protection cream has a respectable SPF 50. This multipurpose non-greasy cream absorbs quickly and also moisturizes the skin.
- Apply 2 milligrams of sunscreen on each square centimeter of exposed skin (2 tablespoons for average body size)
- For face and neck take sunscreen film on the whole length of two fingers (around a half teaspoon) and apply. Apart from this wear sunglasses, and hats and limit sun exposure.
- Sunscreen should be applied around 15 minutes before sun exposure and don’t forget to reapply every 2 hours.
Purchase from the best online makeup store in Pakistan:
Go4shine offers a wide range of makeup products with price in Pakistan. Similarly, skincare products, hair care products, nail care products, and cosmetics products of renowned brands such as The Ordinary, Aodour, EVELINE, Stageline, Silky Cool, Cetaphil etc. are also available. Don’t miss an opportunity to purchase branded makeup products at reasonable prices.